Welcome to Who? What? Where? When? Why? on the World Wide Web. Your comments, criticism and suggestions: editors#8w.forix.com (replace # with @).
8W is forix.autosport.com's motorsport history section and covers the drivers, cars, circuits, eras and technology that shaped the face, sounds and smells of motor racing.
With the Revival and the Festival of Speed, the Earl of March already has two highlights on the historic motor racing calendar, so why would he add a third? We visited the 72nd GRRC Members' Meeting to find out. To our surprise, we came back jolly pleased.
On April 2, 2014, it is 74 years ago that Mike Hailwood was born. However, we can't celebrate his birthday since 'Mike the Bike' was cruelly taken from us on March 23, 1981, now over 33 years ago. In a revised version of the story originally published on 8W ten years ago, Mike's friend Elizabeth McCarthy tells about her special relationship with the man who, like John Surtees, mastered racing on both two and four wheels.
After the end of the war production started again at Delahaye despite immense difficulties, shortage of materials, lack of machine tools, and numerous strikes due to political and social unrest, tells André Vaucourt, as he picks up the Delahaye story that we left behind in 1939.
Other recent stories on 8W
- Big, bigger, biggest! - Vettel storms top-3, by Willem Visser
- F1 design - The 1970s: trial and error in Formula One design, by Willem Visser
- Delahaye 135/145 - 1939: not a very good year for Delahaye, and a terrible year for the world, by André Vaucourt
- Spa - Taking on the GT40s, 2013 Spa Six Hours report, by Mattijs Diepraam
- Delahaye 135/145/155 - 1938: Delahaye wins the Pau and Cork GPs and comes 1, 2, 4 at Le Mans, by André Vaucourt
Latest updates on 6th Gear
- April 16, 2014: Who goes where in 2014? - GP3, WEC, ELMS updates
- April 13, 2014: Who goes where in 2014? - Japanese F3 update
- April 13, 2014: Winners' circle 2014 - Indycar, FR3.5, Super Formula, Indy Lights, USC, BES, NASCAR, WTCC, Super TC2000, Brazilian Stock Car, Japanese F3, Brazilian F3 updates
- April 10, 2014: Who goes where in 2014? - Indycar, FR3.5, Auto GP, FA1, GP3, ELMS, BES, BSS, GT Open, ADAC GT, British GT updates
- April 10, 2014: FR 3.5 2014 - Monza update